If you think that a simple crunch is already an intense ab workout, better think again!
Lucky for you, you will find the list below of the 10 most intense ab workouts to your benefit!
1. Hanging Leg Raises
This exercise works out your lower abs and is a top-rated intense ab workout.
Follow these steps to do a hanging leg raise:
- Look for a pull-up bar or any equivalent, and use an overhand grip with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Let your body hang freely for a few seconds and make sure that you have a steady grip first.
- Slowly lift your legs upward until your body forms an “L” shape.
- Pause for a few moments and repeat until as many times desired.
2. Leg Raises
Not much of an intense ab workout, leg raises can become an effective sculpting exercise when done in many reps.
To do a leg raise is very similar to a hanging leg raise, but the only difference is that you lie back flat on a floor instead of hanging freely on a pull-up bar.
3. Exercise Ball Crunch
Exercise balls provide excellent training for the core muscles, and if paired with the typical crunch, it can make for an easy, and yet, effective workout.
To do an exercise ball crunch, follow these simple steps:.
- Balance yourself in an exercise ball of the right size for you, with your body arched or almost parallel to the ground and your feet grounded firmly on the floor.
- Slowly, lift your upper body off the ball and pause for a few moments.
- Lower yourself back slowly and repeat as many times as you want.
- You can choose to put your hands behind your head or across your chest, depending on your preference.
4. Plank on Elbows
Planking works out most, if not all, of your core muscles and strengthens them in the process.
To do a plank, try these steps.
- Go for a push-up like position, but in this case, only with your elbows bent and with your forearms supporting your weight.
- Slowly form a straight line with your body.
- Brace yourself and allow your ab muscles to contract, as if you were preparing for a punch in the stomach.
- Hold this stance for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds and repeat twice or thrice.
5. Side Plank
Like any other plank out there, the side plank engages your core muscles, giving you a really intense ab workout.
To do side planks, follow these simple steps.
- Lie on your left side, and lift your hips slowly until your body forms a straight line, with your left forearm supporting much of your weight.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds while bracing your abs.
- Do the same thing for the right side.
- Allow yourself to rest for 30 seconds and repeat two or three times.
6. Bicycle Crunch or Air Bike
The bicycle crunch is a very intense ab workout, as it helps strengthen and form all of your core muscles, including the oblique muscles!
To do a bicycle crunch properly, follow these steps.
- Lie flat on your back; tighten your ab muscles, while lifting your heads, shoulders and/or upper back off the floor.
- Try your best for your right elbow and your left knee to meet, while extending your right leg and not allowing it to reach the ground.
- Do the same for the left elbow and right knee.
- Do 10-20 reps for sets, for two to three sets.
7. Cross-Body Crunch
This exercise works out the same exercises with the bicycle crunch, and while it is a less intense ab workout, it still is very effective and adds variety to any training program.
To do this, you need to.
- Assume the same position as you would in a crunch.
- Make your left elbow and right knee meet as you lie back on the floor.
- Do the same for your right elbow and left knee.
- Do 10-20 reps for as many sets as you can.
8. Extended Plank
This exercise is a more intense ab workout than a regular plank, although it looks the same.
To do one rep of extended blank, you have to.
- Assume a regular plank position.
- Make sure to place all of your weight on your hands, with your hands 6-8 inches in front of your shoulders.
- Hold for 30 seconds, rest and repeat.
9. The Ab Roller
This exercise works out both your abdominals and your shoulders, and only need one piece of equipment, the ab roller.
To do one rep of this intense ab workout, you need to:
- Hold an ab roller with both hands, with you in a kneeling position.
- Slowly roll the ab roller forward, and allow your body to stretch until it is straight.
- Make sure to go down as much as you can without letting your body touch the floor.
- Slowly go back to your first position, and repeat as necessary.
- Make sure that you have NO problems with your lower back or hernias to avoid complicating it.
10. ¾ Sit-ups
Trainers say that this is a very effective intense ab workout and meant for those who are fit and have been exercising for months.
To do a ¾ sit-up, you need to do the following:
- Do the same as you would in a regular sit-up, but bring your body only about ¾ the way down, instead of all the way. This keeps your abs engaged and contracted all the time.
- Do as many reps and/or sets as prescribed.
There you have it, the 10 most intense ab workouts out there to help you get that six-pack abs and leaner body you have always wanted.
Try one intense ab workout at a time and let us know which one works best for you by leaving a comment below.
Rauraur.com is your complete, offbeat guide to men’s health and lifestyle. If you are looking for tips and information on how to look and feel great, and be the ultimate man women can’t resist, this site is for the Alpha male like you!
Incoming search terms:
- instant abs
- instant abs workout